We have specialists in many areas of legal practice. Make an enquiry today: 0330 333 2613

Moving home? Get your instant conveyancing quote today

Any person or company that owns or is responsible for maintaining a public area should have a public liability insurance policy to compensate members of the public for any injury that is sustained whilst on the property, which is caused by their negligence. Therefore if you suffer an injury on public land you may have a compensation against their insurer.

If your accident occurred on public property during the course of your employment you may also have a claim against your employer.

Some of the most common public liability personal injury claims we deal with are:

  • Injuries caused by dangerous footpaths, bridleways or pavements, untreated ice and snow, pot holes, tree roots and steps.  These claims are usually taken up against the Local Authority responsible for the upkeep (unless the accident happened on private property).
  • Slips or trips or other accidents sustained whilst inside business premises that are open to the general public such as supermarkets, shopping centres, DIY stores, car parks, amusement parks and restaurants.
  • Obstructions to the highways or pavements or other accidents on the pubic highway.   These claims are usually taken up against the Local Authority who are responsible for the upkeep of the specific highway or footpath.

There are also many other circumstances where you could be injured on public property and have an ability to claim compensation for the injuries you have suffered.

In order to ensure compliance with various regulations the relevant local authority and/or business owner should ensure that all users of the premises or property are reasonably safe whilst doing so and/or that the property or premises are well maintained and regularly inspected.

If you have been injured in a public place or as a result of someone else's negligence then our lawyers could help you claim compensation. Please contact us for further information and advice.

Our Team

Shelley Barker

Shelley Barker

Chartered Legal Executive
No photo - Curtis Dunkley

Curtis Dunkley

Andrew Emery

Andrew Emery

Bartosz Ociepka

Bartosz Ociepka



Ask us a Question

Or if you would prefer to email, send it to Enquiries@elliotmather.co.uk


Elliot Mather LLP maintains professional indemnity insurance in accordance with the rules of the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Details of the insurers and the territorial coverage of the policy are available for inspection at our offices.

Registered Office: St. Mary's Court, St. Mary's Gate, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England, S41 7TD

VAT Number: 126 3019 03

Regulatory Notice: Elliot Mather LLP is a limited liability partnership. Partnership number OC321320.

Authorised and regulated by The Solicitors' Regulation Authority. To view code of conduct visit www.sra.org.uk/code-of-conduct.page